October 1, 2023

Weed and Pest Control

The Custer County Weed & Pest Board and Custer County Weed & Pest Department are committed to the implementation of an effective integrated Weed & Pest Management Program.

Our goal is to control and monitor local and state noxious weeds and declared pests within Custer County. Custer County Weed and Pest Department is overseen by the County Weed Board which meets at least four times per year.  The Director informs the Weed Board on activities of the Weed Department.

* Notice of landowner responsibility to control noxious weeds and declared pests

Contact: Mike Baldwin – [email protected]

Mail: 25363 US Highway 385, Custer, SD 57730     Phone: (605) 673-5680    Hours: Monday – Thursday 6:00 AM – 4:30 PM

State Declared Noxious Weeds

State Declared Pests

Custer County Declared Noxious Weeds

Other locally noxious weeds in South Dakota

Other Pests in South Dakota

Other Invasive Plants to Watch For (Contact the office if any are detected)

Prairie Dog Complaints

  • Prairie dogs encroaching onto private land from public land:
    • a request for the SD Game & Fish Department to treat the problem can be filed here.
  • Prairie dogs encroaching onto private land from private – complete and follow directions on linked form.
    • NOTE: Before the County Weed & Pest Board can take action, prairie dogs must be “… colonizing on lands where the prairie dogs are unwanted by the owner of the impacted land” (SDCL 38-22-1.2).
    • Send written complaint to SD Dept. of Agriculture and Natural Resources (address on linked form above).  The State will provide a copy of the complaint to the County Weed & Pest Board.
    • A copy of the complaint must also be sent by you to the landowner you are filing a complaint against.

Obtain or Renew an Applicators License:

  • SD Private Applicator License:
  • SD Commercial Applicator License.
    • Recertify or update your license click here.
    • New license – contact the Rapid City SDSU Extension office (605-394-1722) to schedule an appointment.


SDSU Extension Weed Control publication:









Board meeting agendas and minutes

Helpful Links

SD Weed and Pest Control * SD Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)SD Farm Service Agency (FSA) *  SD Conservation DistrictsSD Game, Fish and Parks * Black Hills National Forest * Buffalo Gap National Grassland * Wind Cave National Park * Jewel Cave National MonumentSD Department of Agriculture & Natural Resources * SD Department of TransportationSDSU Plant Science DepartmentSD West Nile * Invasive Plant Atlas * National Invasive Species Information Center * EDDMapS – Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System